AIMST University now offers a Master of Science (M.Sc) in Medical Microbiology. This innovative programme provides a solid foundation in medical microbiology as a basis for teaching, as well as basic and applied research. It considers all aspects of medical microbiology and incorporates local requirement as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency. This programme has been develop to provide postgraduate training in medical microbiology and is intended for students graduating from life science and related disciplines who wish to extend their knowledge of microbiology and / or wish to pursue a career in the medical sciences.
• Bachelor in Microbiology (Hons), or other related science degree.
|Duration||1 year full-time study OR 2 year part-time study on campus|
|Language of Instruction||English|
Components of the Programme
The programme is fully research based. Component of the programme are not subjects based but are divided according to the research areas / expertise:
Medical Bacteriology, Medical Virology, Medical Mycology, Medical Biotechnology, Medical Biosensors, Bioinformatics and Genetic Engineering.
Examination of the M. Sc Thesis is the main assessment method. The thesis will be examined by the supervisor, an internal examiner and an external examiner. Successful completion of research project and defence of this project is also required for graduation.
Besides the thesis, there will be continuous assessments for monitoring the research progress. The tools used may include proposal presentation, research progress reports, portfolio, journal club presentations, publication and conference participation.
• Undergraduate teaching in medical, dental, pharmacy, nursing and physiotherapy schools
• Further research leading to a PhD
The Application Form can be downloaded.
Complete application forms should be accompanied by:
• 2 passport size photographs (8 for international applications)
• 1 certified true copy of Identify Card
• Non-refundable processing fee of RM100 (USD150 for international applicants) made payable to
“AIMST SDN BHD REV A/C” in the form of bank draft / postal order / money order
• Certified true copy of Bachelor’s degree, academic transcript or other relevant result
Dates and Deadlines
• One signed hard copy of the application and enclosures required complete in all respects must be received
by 1st week of December (for those qualified to directly enter Year 1 of this programme,
see Entry Requirements above)
• Year 1 Medical Microbiology Programme commences every year in January, starting from 2011