The Faculty of Resource Science and Technology (FRST) and the Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS) jointly offer a capacity building academic programme for the promotion of sustainable land use and natural resource management in Malaysia (SLUSE-M). The programme is modeled on and implemented in parallel to a similar programme initiated by a Danish consortium of universities (SLUSE-D). SLUSE-M takes its point of departure from natural and social scientific theories and methodologies in order to develop inter-disciplinary approaches towards understanding the problems and finding solutions related to sustainable use of land and water resources. This capacity building initiative is realised through the improvement and integration of education, training and research involving students and academic staff of UNIMAS, in collaboration with other local and foreign universities and agencies.
The SLUSE-M programme which leads to the award of either a Master of Environmental Management ( Development Planning ) (FSS) or Master of Environmental Science ( Land Use & Water Resource Management ) (FRST) is structured into three (3) modules with a total of 42 credit hours :
1. Joint SLUSE Module (15 credit hours)
2. Joint Experiential Module (9 credit hours), and
3. UNIMAS Core Modules (18 credit hours)
Master of Environmental Science (Land Use and Water Resource Management): SLUSE Program Structure (FSTS)
Joint SLUSE Module
|JSM 6012||Ecological System: Concept and Issues||
|JSM 6022||Land Use and Natural Resource Management||
|JSM 6072||Community Livelihood Strategies and Agricultural Systems||
|JSM 6042||Applied Environmental and Resource Economics||
|JSM 6053||Monitoring Using Earth Observation (EO) and GIS||
|JSM 6064||Environmental Management Instruments and Systems||
Joint Experiential Module
|JEM 6014||Interdisciplinary Methodology||
|JEM 6025||Interdisciplinary Field Work and Report/Project Paper||
|Core Modules for Master of Environmental Science (Land Use and Water Resource Management)|
|CML 6013||Ecological Science||
|CML 6022||Green Management and Technology||
|CML 6032||Sustainable Soil Resource Management||
|CML 6045||Water Resource Management||
|CML 6066||Research Project||
Component (1) is generic in nature; the subjects addressed include an introduction to the environmental setting and status of natural resource management in this region followed by courses most relevant to sustainable land use and natural resource management that are of common interest to students from the different core disciplines.
Component (2) deals with research concepts and field methodologies. This module is designed around an experiential study component in the form of a two-week field course in Sabah and/or Sarawak. The field course for SLUSE-M is scheduled, to the extent possible, to coincide with the field course of the Danish (SLUSE-D) students so as to provide an opportunity for international cross-cultural experience and benefits to be derived from the inter-mingling of students of various backgrounds and disciplines.
Component (3) represents the core faculty courses that would stream the students into two possible majors, namely:
Development Planning; or Land Use and Water Resource Management
Key Resource Persons:
• Andrew Alek Tuen, Prof. Dr. (Ecologist & Parks Management)
• Abd. Mutalip Abdullah, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Dev. Planning)
• Dimbab Ngidang, Prof. Dr. (Agric. Educ.)
• Fatimah Abang, Prof. Dr. (Animal Ecol.)
• F.J. Putuhena, Prof., (Hydrological Engineer)
• Gabriel Tonga Noweg, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Resource Econ., Dev. Planning)
• Hamsawi Sani, Prof. Dr. (Plant Ecol.)
• Gusni Saat, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Sosiologist)
• Hew Cheng Sim, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Sociologist)
• Ismail Ahmad, Prof. Dr. (Virologist)
• Ismail Jusoh, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Wood Sci. & Forest Mgt.)
• Isa Ipor, Prof.Dr. (Plant Ecol.)
• John Phoa, Dr. (Political Econ.)
• Kopli Bujang, Prof. Dr. (Env. Biotechnologist)
• Lau Seng, Prof. Dr. (Water Chemist)
• Lim Po Teen, Dr. (Aquatic Toxicol.)
• Ling How Kee, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Sociologist)
• Mohd Effendi Wasli, Dr. (Soil Scientist)
• Mustafa Abd Rahman, Prof.Dr. (Wildlife Ecol.)
• Neilson Ilan Mersat, Dr. (Political Scientist)
• Nwanesi Peter Karubi, Dr. (Sociologist)
• Petrus Bulan, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Estate/Crops Mgt.)
• Ruhana Hassan, Dr. (Aquatic Biol.)
• Salim Said, Prof. Dr. (Hydrologist)
• Spencer Empading Sanggin, Assoc. Prof. Dr. (Agric Educ.)
• Wang Yin Chai, Prof. Dr. (Geografical Information System)
• Wong Swee Kiong, Dr. (Resource & Environmental Econ.)
• Zamri Hj Hassan, Dr. (Sociologist)
• Zin Zawawi Hj Zakaria, Prof. Dr. (Soil Scientist)
Supporting Resource Persons:
• Siti Rubiah Zainuddin, Dr. (Plant Ecologist)
• Kelvin Egay (Anthropologist)
• Lucy Sebli Seidelson, Dr. (Sociologist)
• Poline Bala, Dr. (Anthropologist)
• Mohd Faisal Syam Abdol Hazis, Dr. (Pol. Scientist)
Invited Resource Persons:
• Affendi Suhaili, Dr. (Forest Mgt. (GIS) – Forest Dept)
• James Dawos Mamit, Dr. (Env. Mgt)
• Murtedza Mohamed, Prof. Dr. (Water Resource Management)
• Robert Malong (Legal Specialist)
• Tie Yiu Liong, Dr. (Soil Sci. – Consultant)
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
SLUSE-M programme is designed for the following candidates:
- Graduates and professionals assigned to tasks associated with resource and environmental management;
- Senior government personnel who are presently assigned tasks directly related to resource and environmental conservation who desire to improve their skills and enhance their knowledge in resource and environmental management; and
- The general public who wish to improve their knowledge in resource and environmental management.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The minimum entry requirements for the programme are as follows :-
- 1.A Bachelor degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 and above;
- 2.Other equivalent qualifications approved by UNIMAS Senate.
* For International students, an IELTS Score of 6.0 or TOEFL equivalent is required.
Class activities and instruction (lectures,presentations discussion, etc) are conducted on weekends ( Saturdays and Sundays ). The weekend mode is conducted taking into account that a majority of the students are made up of professional working people.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMME
The SLUSE-M programme commences in September and the 3 module Masters Programme can be completed in a period of 18-24 calender months.
The full fee for this programme is RM17,000.00 for Malaysian students and RM24,000.00 for international students.