Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.)
- Field Of Study:
- Health, Medicine & Welfare
- Level Of Study:
- Course Subject:
- MBBS, Surgery
- Course Intake:
The SEGi University Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) programme, available at their main campus in Kota Damansara, is designed for students who believe that they can make a difference to others’ lives through better health by being a safe, caring and exceptional doctor. This 5-year medical programme prepares aspiring doctors for a challenging career ranging from promotive, preventive, therapeutic and rehabilitative medicine.
SEGi University strives to produce doctors who are lifelong learners and who endeavour to keep abreast of advances in medicine so as to ensure the community receives appropriate and effective care. This is made possible through diverse teaching and learning experiences that are student and patient centered promoting holistic care and emphasizing professional and ethical values.
The MBBS programme encompasses three phases. In Phase I, which spans the first two years of the programme, students are exposed to basic medical sciences covering subjects including Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology, Medical Microbiology and Medical Parasitology, as well as Community Medicine and early clinical exposure in an integrated system approach.
In Phase II students will begin their early clinical clerkship with one year of rotational posting in basic life support, internal medicine, surgery and women’s health.
Students are further exposed to senior clerkship in Phase III which covers two years in various clinical disciplines, namely community based medicine, internal medicine, paediatrics, surgery, orthopaedics and psychiatric, as well as other specialised fields of medicine which includes forensic medicine. Students are also facilitated to develop their soft skills in communication, social responsibility, team-building, critical thinking, problem-solving, leadership and management throughout their five years of studies.
Graduates of the MBBS programme who wish to work as a doctor in Malaysia are required to undertake further training beyond the medical degree. Upon successful completion of the MBBS programme, students need to apply to the Ministry of Health Malaysia to complete their housemanship, which will be done in a public hospital. Upon successful completion of their housemanship, students will then need to do their three-year compulsory service in either a hospital or clinic under the Ministry of Health Malaysia.
Once students have successfully completed their housemanship, their three-year compulsory service and obtained full registration to practice, graduates can opt to study postgraduate specialist degree programmes, which are available in a range of areas including surgery, general practice, obstetrics, paediatrics and psychiatry, just to name a few. There is a wide range of medical career paths available and options will become apparent as students progress through the programme.
- Block 1: Normal Structure & Function of the Human Cell, Tissue & Body System
- (12 Weeks)
- Block 2: Normal Response and Process to Disease State (12 Weeks)
- Block 3: Body Reaction to Physical, Chemical and Biological Agents (12 Weeks)
- Block 4: Clinical Methods and Introduction to Community Medicine (12 Weeks)
- Remarks: End of Block Assessment (Formative)
- Block 1: Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Haemopoeitic Systems (12 Weeks)
- Block 2: Alimentary and Hepatobiliary Systems (12 Weeks)
- Block 3: Endocrine, Reproductive and Urinary Systems (12 Weeks)
- Block 4: Locomotor and Nervous Systems (12 Weeks)
- Remarks: End of Block Assessment (Formative) First Professional Examination
- Basic Life Support (4 Weeks)
- Internal Medicine 1 (10 Weeks)
- Block 2: General Surgery (10 Weeks)
- Block 3: Women’s Health & Diseases 1 (10 Weeks)
- Block 4: General Paediatrics (10 Weeks)
- Remarks: End of Block Assessment (Formative)
- Primary Care Medicine (12 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Orthopaedics, Traumatology and Rehabilitation (12 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS) (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Opthalmology (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Anaesthesiology & Critical Care (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Imaging (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Dermatology (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Forensic Medicine (2 Weeks/Block x 3)
- Remarks: End of block Exams
- Collective End of 12-week Block Examinations (Short Postings Exams)
- Surgery, Trauma – Critical Care (8 Weeks/Block x 5)
- Psychiatry and Palliative Care (8 Weeks/Block x 5)
- Women’s Health & Diseases 2 (8 Weeks/Block x 5)
- Internal Medicine 2 (8 Weeks/Block x 5)
- Paediatrics and Neonatology (8 Weeks/Block x 5)
- Remarks: End of Block Examinations Second / Exit Professional Examination
- Matriculation or Foundation in Science or Pre Medical Course: CGPA 3.0 (out of 4) in 3 subjects, i.e. Biology & Chemistry & Physics or Mathematics
- SPM: 5 Bs each in Biology & Physics & Chemistry & Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics) and another subject
- General Certificate of Education Ordinary (“O”) levels: 5 Bs each in Biology & Physics & Chemistry & Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics) and another subject
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC): B4 each in 5 subjects i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Physics & Mathematics & Additional Mathematics
- STPM: Grades BBB, ABC or AAC in 3 subjects i.e. Biology & Chemistry & Physics or Mathematics
- A-Level or its equivalent: Grades BBB, ABC or AAC in 3 subjects i.e. Biology & Chemistry & Physics or Mathematics
- South Australian Matriculation (SAM): Aggregate or average of 80% in any 3 subjects i.e. Biology & Chemistry & Physics or Mathematics or 80% ATAR
- International Baccalaureate (IB): 30 points with a minimum of 2 science subjects or Mathematics at Higher Level (HL) and 1 science subject at Standard Level and attained a minimum score of 4 each in Biology, Chemistry & Physics (or Mathematics)
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) / Canadian International Matriculation Program (CIMP) / Canadian Grade 12/13: Average of 80% in any 3 subjects i.e. Biology & Chemistry & Physics or Mathematics
SEGi University Kota Damansara