B. ENG (HONS) IN TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
- Field Of Study:
- Level Of Study:
- Course Subject:
- Engineering - Communication/Telecommunication
- Course Intake:
- April, August, January, May, October
B. ENG (HONS) IN TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- High-quality undergraduate engineering education by providing students with a curriculum that is firmly grounded in telecommunication engineering fundamentals.
- A study in the areas of telecommunication engineering which covers the structure of mobile computing systems, telecommunication systems & networks, and software systems.
- The technical skills to cover the ever demanding expertise in the fields of microwave and optical Transmission, satellite communication and RF communication.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Be working as a practicing professional engineer in the field of Telecommunication Engineering.
- Have progressed in their Telecommunication Engineering careers or other chosen profession and/or are engaged in advanced studies in Telecommunication Engineering or other related fields.
The students, upon completion of their study, should attain the following outcomes:
- Ability to gain and apply basic principles of Mathematics, Science and Engineering.
- Ability to identify engineering problems and apply basic engineering principles to solve them.
- Ability to recognize and apply suitable tools and techniques for engineering practical applications.
- Ability to investigate complex engineering problems using research techniques.
- Ability to design solutions for complex engineering problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Ability to comprehend and demonstrate current good practices of engineering for sustainable development.
- Ability to practice safety, health, social, cultural, legal and environmental responsibilities as an engineer.
- Ability to execute the responsibilities of an Engineer professionally and ethically.
- Ability to function effectively as an individual or in a team.
- Ability to recognize the need for, and be able to engage in independent and life-long learning
- Ability to demonstrate and apply the knowledge and understanding of engineering management principles.
These modules provide an appropriate platform for an Engineering Professional to understand the basic principles of engineering in the areas of Circuit Analysis,Engineering Materials, and Engineering Design.
In addition, a thorough grounding in principles of IT and management are provided by the Programming and Management modules. Modules such as Introduction to C programming, Engineering Mathematics and Introduction to Management provide the basic academic skills required to meet the demands of employers. Important and relevant skills for managing activities and for your own independent learning are also introduced.
- Analysis of Circuits
- Engineering Materials
- Introduction to Management
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Introduction to C Programming
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Engineering Design
- Three (3) MQA modules applicable only to Malaysian students
- Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language)
- Pengajian Malaysia (Malaysian Studies)
- Pendidikan Moral (Moral Studies); or Pendidikan Islam (Islamic Studies)
Here, you start specialising in modules that develop the necessary underlying knowledge and skills in Telecommunication Engineering. Further, in-depth Electronic and Telecommunication skills are developed here with modules such as Electromagnetic Field Theory, Engineering Software and Applications, Analogue Electronics, Digital Electronics, Analogue Communication, Digital communication, Signals and Linear Systems and Introduction to Power Systems. Engineering Mathematics is provided for the better understanding of the engineering modules.
- Analogue Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Electromagnetic Field Theory
- Digital Electronics
- Engineering Software and Applications
- Signals and Linear Systems
- Intoduction to Power Systems
- Analogue Communication
- Digital Communication
Specialised knowledge and skills in the areas of, Control Engineering, Multimedia Applications, Computer Architecture, Microprocessor Systems and Embedded Software, Digital Signal Processing, Numerical Methods, Antenna and Propagation, Modern Communication System,and Optical Communication and Networks are a critical focus of this level. There is further development of the ability to apply relevant engineering skills with strong critical thinking and analysis.
Independent learning continues in all modules.
- Control Engineering
- Multimedia Applications
- Computer Architecture
- Microprocessor Systems and Embedded Software
- Numerical Methods & Statistics
- Digital Signal Processing
- Antenna and Propagation
- Modern Communication System
- Optical Communication and Networks
Industry placement with a suitable organisation for a minimum period of 12 weeks, after completing Year 3 and before the commencement of Year 4.
The final year Engineering modules provide the necessary industry application technological skills which will become very useful for employment upon graduation. These modules include, VLSI Design, Analogue Integrated Circuits and Systems, Microwave and RF Communication and Satellite and Mobile Communication. Your personal and professional development is enhanced by the module in Engineer in Society and Engineering Project Management. You will enhance your technical capability and understand how to innovate, generate and manage the creation of new ideas.
The Project Phase I (Investigation) in Telecommunication Engineering will enable students to take on R&D with commercialisation. The Telecommunication Engineering Project Phase II (Implementation) also develops the academic and practical aspects of your chosen areas of study and reinforces your independent learning skills. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking, analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
- Engineering Project Management
- Project Phase I (Investigation)
- VLSI Design
- Analogue Integrated Circuits and Systems
- Project Phase II (Implementation)
- Engineer in Society
- Microwave and RF Communication
- Satellite and Mobile Communication
Source: Asia Pacific University